Getting Started

I've been gardening since the age of thirteen.  My husband and I have owned four homes and we have done extensive rehabilitation on the properties that we have owned in different parts of the country.  The most recent property is here in Connecticut.  In 1997 I started expanding my gardening to other properties beyond my own.  After leaving my job as president of a non-profit in 2008, devoting my time to the outdoors has been my priority.  It was then, in 2008, that I started working for an arborist and began studying arboriculture.  I worked four years there learning about trees, diseases, and insects and am now involved with organizations like the Connecticut Tree Protective Association, I'm a member of the New England chapter of ISA, and have attended numerous seminars along with attending Arboriculture 101 (classes focused on the study of trees).  I entered the Master Gardener Program through the University of Connecticut in 2011 and graduated in 2012.  For those of you that don't know what the Master Gardener Program is about, it's a sixteen week study course of horticulture. Classes include botany, soil structure, insects and diseases of plants, tree identification and research, herbaceous perennial identification and research, entomology, pathology, etc.  Projects include a final exam, putting together a lengthy book of research on trees, shrubs, and invasive plants, and forty hours of specific horticultural volunteer projects.  I completed the program to became certified in 2012 and am currently holding an 'Advanced' status.  That means I've gone well beyond the initial program.

My business is based on the idea that we all need a place to rest and enjoy our outdoor spaces. Through my travels and friendships, I realize that there are many of us that are happiest when we surround ourselves with the purity of nature, it makes us feel calm, a little bit healthier, and it brings us to a better place in our mind.  That's why in this chaotic world, I feel it's important for us to surround ourselves with places where we can feel safe from stress. I believe that when we surround ourselves with a chemical free environment and a healthy landscaping, then not only are the plants happy, but our souls will rest.

So whether you are a small business or a homeowner, I would love to help you find a place to rest your soul.  I want to help you make good decisions on what to plant in your yard or special place.  Together we will make a sanctuary where bees and birds can rest and feed, and you can enjoy the view without the worry of touching something toxic.  I can help you make your yard fairly maintenance free by choosing the right plant for the right place.  I can help you do the work, or I can do the work for you.  I can also assist in the maintenance and help you plan for the future so it's easier on your budget.  Please understand that I am not a landscaper, I focus more on the smaller rooms within your yard.  What I do takes time and careful thought.  I need to understand who you are and what's important to you, so I can make your gardens about you.  You will not see the final results of my work instantaneously.  A beautiful garden is the result of thoughtful planning, time, care, and in most cases hard work.

If you think you want to talk to me, send me an email at singellisLLC@gmail.com and I'll get back to you as soon as I come in from working and clean up.

Popular posts from this blog

The Healing Garden Dream and Start

Christmas Gardening

Winter is Coming